E-commerce has revolutionized business processes. Because of the advancements in Information Technology (IT), cloud storage has become the norm in transmitting and storing data over a network.
Managed IT Services to maintain and back up data with guaranteed storage reliability. Aside from Most Managed IT Services also offer cybersecurity that protects data from ransomware attacks.
Currently, the lifeblood of most companies is data processing. Data can be the personal information of customers/employees, logistics information, confidential financial statements, and more. This is why during the early days of the internet, many people or companies were hesitant to store data online due to a lack of protection and lack of reliability in data storage. As IT progresses, companies need to adapt to the changing business processing landscape to cope with the demand for automation and convenience.
Should your business move to cloud storage? Buying cloud storage is much more feasible in terms of cost and maintenance compared to using in-house cloud storage.
But what type of cloud storage do you need?
In this discussion, we will learn about what you need to consider before choosing a type of cloud storage, the three types of cloud storage used according to the nature of data to be stored or shared, and the different methods in using cloud storage.
Before using cloud storage, these are the considerations to guide you:
- Types of cloud storage
- Purpose of business/organization
- Confidential nature of data
- Data security
- Managed IT Services
- Types of cloud storage– there are three types of cloud storage depending on the nature of file storage, transmission, recipient, etc. The main types of cloud storage are file storage, object storage, and block storage. More information about each can be found below.
- Purpose of business/organization– the choice of your cloud storage largely depends on the purpose of your business/organization. There is a type of cloud storage for file sharing restricted within the company/organization. There is another type of cloud storage that other users outside of the organization can access with their assigned unique identifier.
- Confidential nature of data– what kind of data is being uploaded, stored, edited, and shared? Confidential data includes but is not limited to company logistics, personal information, and financial statements. Consider cloud storage that is reliable in volume storage, security, retrieval, and cost. This will solve potential problems that could develop such as security breaches and high costs.
- Data security– the online platform is the most vulnerable platform when it comes to data insecurity because of the hacking, virus, and system crashes. When choosing a type of cloud storage, verify the security protocols that would suit your data protection needs.
- Recipients/users– who are the collaborators in your cloud storage? Are they employees within the company? Are they people from other companies? Should your data be accessed by the public? As you read on, you will learn about the different kinds of cloud storage that can meet your needs.
- Managed IT Services– compared to creating and maintaining your own cloud storage, Managed IT Services can develop a type of cloud storage according to the features that you need. Managed IT Services have professionals who can maintain and ensure data protection. Therefore, you can focus on other business needs instead of rendering time in handling your cloud storage.
- Cost – the cost for cloud storage varies according to the features that you need and many are quite affordable. The best cloud storage service in the market is the one that finds a balance between service and budget.
Three main types of cloud storage
As mentioned above, the three main types of cloud storage are file storage, object storage, and block storage. Each storage has a different function according to the nature of data that is stored and shared.
- File storage
File storage is the most popular cloud storage and allows you to organize data in a convenient, hierarchical, multi-purpose system for files in various formats.
Purposes: Usually, files are stored in folders with filenames to make them convenient for people to locate. You can create sub-folders in each folder to further organize files. File cloud storage can be privately accessed within the company/organization or shared with users outside of the organization by changing the settings.
What it can store: Documents, images, and videos.
- Object storage
Object storage is used for storing unstructured data. This storage contains the data stored in a file, its metadata, and its unique identifier. Its metadata can be customized by users.
The metadata has information on the file being retrieved, its owners, its date of creation, permissions, etc. while the unique identifier is the 128-bit value assigned to the file (which is treated as an object) to locate it in the storage.
Purposes: The object storage stores unstructured data that can be retrieved with a unique ID assigned to users for authentication and security. The object cloud storage has massive scalability that can be simultaneously accessed by many users from anywhere. Data retrieval is faster, too.
What it can store: A massive amount of unstructured data such as songs on Spotify and pictures and videos on social media sites such as Facebook.
- Block storage
Block storage is used to divide large volumes of data into smaller units called blocks. They are used in Storage Area Network environments. Each volume will act like a separate hard drive that has already been configured by the administrator or the server operating system. Retrieving these files requires a unique address.
The Fiber Channel over Ethernet or the Internet Small Computer Systems Interface is a typical performance protocol that will grant access and retrieval to the files.
Purposes: Block storage is ideal storage for critical applications because the computer network has been optimized to process data with less delay or low latency that is usually required by high-performing databases.
What it can store: High volume data that can be retrieved efficiently and with low latency.
Different purposes for cloud storage
Just as there are different types of cloud storage according to what kind of files you are storing, there are also different methods for using cloud storage. These methods affect the access to data, its protection, and sometimes, the allowed volume that can be stored.
- Community cloud storage
Hybrid cloud storage is the latest development in cloud storage when companies need a type of cloud storage that can accommodate settings for both its private and public file storage. The hybrid cloud storage becomes the solution for securing data and user access because it has integrated features in its limited access file storage and public file storage.
Features: The balance between maintaining both private and public cloud storage can be made in a public cloud service such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services and/or private cloud storage.
- Community cloud storage
Community cloud storage is popular across businesses that govern or manage a limited number of participating organizations or third-party managed services. The community cloud is a hybrid of private and public cloud storage in managing the company’s business needs such as security and compliance.
Features: Cloud storage providers offer their cloud architecture and software development tools.
- Private cloud storage
Private cloud storage works for internal storage purposes. Access to data is restricted to a limited number of users. Most of the time, managing private cloud storage is being taken care of by the organization especially when it comes to updates and other matters.
Features: Private cloud storage has intensive data security and protection especially since a firewall protects it. The private cloud storage is also being managed with full control by the users.
- Public cloud storage
Public cloud storage is hosted by various service providers and can be accessed by any user with an internet connection. The files that are stored in the cloud don’t have much security when it comes to viewing and downloading.
Features: public cloud storage is cost-effective, scalable, and requires minimal if any maintenance.
The essential decision in choosing a type of cloud storage
Choosing a type of cloud storage entails many considerations such as type, purpose, method, security, and cost.
E-commerce and other companies that are relying on data processing for their business operations recognize the importance of adapting to cloud storage for convenience and modernization but also for data security, reliability, and low latency.
When working with a Managed IT Service Provider, you can mitigate the risk of data loss and data breaches. Aside from this, Managed IT Services takes care of maintenance and other data protection protocols.
We offer reliable cloud storage services developed and maintained by our IT professionals. To inquire about our Managed IT Services for cloud storage, please reach out to Frank at [email protected] or (847) 894-6304.